Alianza Sierra Madre (ASMAC) is a nongovernmental organization working with indigenous peoples and rarámuri Ódami in the Sierra Tarahumara , Chihuahua state , northern Mexico . The actions and projects are developed by an interdisciplinary team in the areas of law, anthropology and ecology. The team is also ethnic mestizo and Tepehuan ( Ódami ) . Because of the social problems and the high degree of economic , social and political marginalization of these people , the organization focuses its work on three programs :
1. Human Rights of Indigenous Peoples ( DHPI )
2. Conservation Biocultural
3. Community Wellness
We are a civil society organization that accompanies the indigenous peoples of the Sierra Tarahumara in the exercise of their collective rights.
Being an organization of professional , transparent and recognized for his work on the exercise of human rights civil society and good living of indigenous peoples in the state of Chihuahua.
Alianza Sierra Madre AC. It was legally established on 23 January 2007. However , some of the team members have worked with indigenous peoples and communities in the Sierra Tarahumara since the early 90s of last century.
Strategy: Rights-Based Approach
As a cross-sectoral strategy in all three areas of our work, we have adopted a rights-based approach with two thrusts. On one hand, we seek to increase the level of the commitment of the government and society with respect to human rights. On the other, we build the capacity of stakeholders so that they can know their rights and can demand that they be respected.
- Respect for human rights in general and specifically, the rights of indigenous peoples, women, and children.
- Promote the wellbeing of the communities of the Sierra Tarahumara, including economic, social, environmental and cultural aspects on the individual as well as the collective level.
- Evaluate the environmental sustainability of all actions we undertake.
- Have a multi-disciplinary team.
- Employ an inter-cultural focus.
- Understand that environmental conservation is in fact biocultural.
- Orient our work in a way that ensures gender equity.